Innovation Houses are repurposed vacant houses occupied by Community-Building Fellows (CBFs) seeking to transform neighborhoods of concentrated distress by participating in community change. CBFs can be from any source, but they must commit to working 10+ hours per month in volunteer community or civic service. Rent is $300/month with utilities falling around $60/month. Ideally, CBFs will be full-time AmeriCorps members and fulfill the service requirement through their placements, but they need not be.
NeighborScapes, in partnership with community-based organizations in Greater Englewood, is piloting a program to redevelop vacant houses and gather CBFs in service to the Englewood community.
· Blight reduction
· Dynamic young residents
· Avenue for service by home-grown talent
· Civic engagement and community building activity
· Low-cost energy for defined programming
· Assistance in realizing a community-defined vision for improvement
· Community-building space and active community engagement
· Leadership development experience
· Collaboration across silos in community work
· Community with housemates in shared residence
· Peer-to-peer learning and motivation for service and activism.
Our first home! The house has been running since 2015. This location is currently filled with six residents who are dedicated to community service and the betterment of Englewood.
We have three rooms available in this building with four more to open at the finishing of renovations in the top flat of the home.
We recently acquired this property in July and currently fundraising for funding to begin renovations. We expect this location to be ready for residents within a few months.
If living in an Innovation House seems like a fit for you, download an application and send us a message in the "Contact Us" section below!
Please send us a message or leave us a voicemail expressing your interest and download an application. We will respond with further instructions.